HONOREES FOR 2011
Frank Tapley (posthumous)
Tapley was born in Ashland, Maine in 1914. He attended Aroostook Central Institute and played basketball and baseball. In 1931 his basketball team went to the Eastern Maine Tournament, but lost to Winslow. Frank went on to the University of Maine at Orono, continuing to play basketball and baseball. He graduated in 1938 with a degree in Education. His teaching and coaching career began that same year in Sherman, Maine. His son, Barry, remembers hearing his father say, "Gyms, back then, many times were heated with a wood stove at the side of the court.” In 1946, Frank moved to Easton, taught Agriculture at Easton High School and coached the Boy's Basketball Team. With his teaching of Agriculture, Frank had to spend his summer inspecting his students’ projects. He enjoyed being out in the field with his students and he encouraged all of them by stressing the importance of doing well so they would receive a good education to prepare them for higher learning. He was a true mentor to his students both in the classroom and the field. He also played basketball and baseball on the Easton town teams. As a Varsity Basketball Coach at Easton High School, Coach Tapley inspired each of his athletes to perform to the best of their ability, not only for themselves, but for their team. Steve Shaw, Athletic Director at Easton High School says, "Coach Tapley's coaching ability brought Easton much success in basketball and baseball. He placed four teams in the Eastern Maine Tournament and in 1948 and in 1956 his team went all the way to the Eastern Maine semi finals before losing in the final game. In 1957 his Bears brought home the State Small School Basketball title. Coach Tapley was a role model and a mentor to his team showing what hard work and determination can do even if you are younger and smaller than your opponent. He is survived by two sons, Barry and Charles, five grand children (one grandson deceased) and four great grandchildren.
Donald “Lefty” Graves (posthumous)
“Lefty” was born in Mars Hill in 1916. He didn’t pick up his nickname until his high school years. A member of the basketball team at Aroostook Central Institute in Mars Hill he had an accurate left-handed jump shot and he was usually the team’s high scorer. On the baseball diamond his slow curve ball and pin point accuracy sent opposing batters back to the bench shaking their heads and talking to themselves. Roger Shaw, Assistant Superintendent AOS#99 in Mars Hill, says ‘Lefty couldn’t ‘break a pane of glass’, but his curve ball was legendary”. He was also a pitcher on the amateur traveling town league team, The Mars Hill Cubs. He had offers from pro and semi-pro scouts but always declined, preferring to stay in his home town with his dad and brothers. The Graves family bought and sold cattle, ran a butcher shop and had push carts selling meat with each brother having a daily route and set customers. This led to a small family run grocery store that became a string of Red and White Supermarkets throughout Aroostook. One is still open in Presque Isle. Along with his business, horses began to occupy a good deal of Lefty’s time. Mountain View Farms, had horses racing at Foxboro, Rockingham, Meadowlands, Scarborough and the State Fair circuit throughout Maine. One of Lefty’s crowning achievements was his nomination by Governor John McKernan and subsequent appointments in 1988 to the Maine State Harness Racing Commission. His life was full with bowling league competition, hunting and fishing. Golf also caught his interest and he and his friends were on the course in Mars Hill, rain or shine. He was the consummate sportsman, hunting and fishing with his brothers and sometimes with Bud Leavitt and Ted Williams on the Miramichi River. He was a member of the Mars Hill Rotary Club, the first father/daughter Rotarians with his daughter Jan, and a member of the Methodist church, always offering financial support to the needs of the community. His family remembers most of all Lefty’s grin whether he was toeing the rubber on the mound in high school, working with the horses, fishing, greeting customers at the store or helping the community, that grin told everyone he was enjoying his journey. His grin is evident today on a bench donated by his family on the 17th hole of the Mars Hill Golf Course with the inscription, “Life with a smile." Lefty and his wife, Esther had four children, Jan, Judy, Richard and Nancy, 11 grand children, 19 great-grand children and 3 great-great-grand children.
Emmett “Bud” Porter
A longtime educator, coach, basketball official, community service leader and outdoorsman, Bud graduated from Aroostook Central Institute in 1949 where he was an all-sport standout playing Varsity Basketball, Baseball and Winter Carnival Skiing. He continued his athletic career at Aroostook State Normal School, now the University of Maine at Presque Isle, as a Varsity Baseball catcher. He played in the Aroostook League Semi-pro All Star Baseball for ten years and was selected to play in the Aroostook League Semi-pro All Star Baseball Game as catcher two of those years. In 1953 he embarked on a 35 year teaching career at Mars Hill. Bud was always interested in students far beyond the c1assroom, and to this day, his wise counsel is still sought by many former students. As coach of Varsity Baseball at Mars Hill from 1957 - 1968, he led his team to the Aroostook League Championship in 1958 and 1959. He also coached the Girls Varsity Basketball and Varsity Softball teams. His basketball teams never had a losing season and went to the Eastern Maine Tournament ever year. When he retired he decided to get the best coach for them, Katahdin's Dick Barstow. When Central Aroostook came to the 1981 girls' basketball tournament, Bud was watching as the girls won the state championship. Bud coached the Girls Softball Team when they won seven division titles, Eastern Maine Champions in 1977 and runners up in 1980, with a coaching record of 126 wins and 43 losses. Bud was a Basketball Official from 1955 -1976, a Charter Member of IAABO#50. He often traveled to Canada to referee semi-pro games. He is currently an honorary member of IAABO#50. Following in her father’s footsteps, his daughter is also a basketball official and has refereed in the Eastern Maine tournament. Along with his teaching and coaching he served his community as a member of the Town Council, Chairman of the Charter Commission, Board member of the Utility District, Moderator for the School District Budget Meeting, ACI Homecoming Committee Co-Chairman, and a 49 year member of the Aroostook Masonic Lodge and National Honor Society Advisor in 1955 -1987. An avid outdoorsman Bud hunts and fishes at his camp on Number Nine Lake. After retiring he kept the clock for boys and girls basketball games at Central Aroostook High School. Bud is a lifelong resident of Mars Hill, where he and his late wife Jean raised five children. His three daughters, who live in Maine and have been involved in teaching, coaching and officiating, A daughter and son passed away in childhood from health complications. He and his current wife, Gwenn McBurnie have blended their families to include Gwenn's two sons. Together they have 9 grandchildren.
A longtime educator, coach and athletic director, Terry played basketball at Ellsworth High School where his team won the Class L State Championship in 1953-54. He was chosen Eastern Maine Tournament Second Team and Second Team All State. The 1954 Eagles were later inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame. Terry played high school football for 2 years. He was a member of the University of Maine in Orono Varsity basketball team his first three years and is a member of the University of Maine's "M" Club. He graduated from Maine with a Bachelors Degree in Physical Education. After graduation he was hired to teach physical education and coach Varsity Basketball at Aroostook Central Institute in Mars Hill in 1960. During the next four years Coach Spurling's teams placed in the Class L tournament three straight years. In 1963 his team made it to the Eastern Maine finals. Terry moved to Houlton High School teaching physical education, Athletic Director, Varsity Boys Basketball Coach and driver education instructor. From 1964 - 1977 his basketball teams took eight trips to the Class LL Tournament. In 1967 the team was in the Eastern Maine Finals. Terry coached volleyball for 31 years at Houlton, teaching physical education for 36 years and driver education for 38 years. In retirement Terry enjoys being with his wife, Jane who gave him 50 years of support that made it possible for him to spend countless hours carrying out his coaching duties. They enjoy watching their grandchildren grow and participate in sports with the same passion and enthusiasm that Terry had. He and his wife live in Houlton where he has enjoyed playing tennis, racquet ball and being a member of the Elks Club for 46 years, along with watching sports on TV and in person. They have one daughter and two sons along with three grandchildren.
William G. Fletcher
Fletcher retired in 1992 after 40 years in Education. Born in Milo, he received his BS Degree in Education from Springfield College, a Masters Degree in Educational Administration from University of Maine at Orono, where he also received a Certificate of Advanced Study in Administration (CAS) (Superintendency). He began his career in 1952 as a Biology Instructor, Physical Education, Physiology Instructor, and Head Varsity Basketball Coach at Mattanawcook Academy in Lincoln. His supervision of a course in physiology in 1965 was a first in Maine at the high school level. He was responsible for the entire basketball program from 1952-1971. A Physical Education Instructor and Head Varsity Basketball Coach at Falmouth High School included responsibility for the basketball program throughout the school system. An extensive intramural program was part of the physical education program. William became Principal at Penobscot Valley High School in Howland, and then accepted a position as Assistant Principal, Athletic Director, Director of Adult Education and part time Instructor of English at Dexter Regional High School. In 1989 he became Assistant Principal and Athletic Director at Brewer High School and was Acting Superintendent of Schools for five months. In 1992 he was named Eastern Maine Basketball Tournament Director and Regional and State Cheerleading Championship Director. As a member of the State Principals Association he served on several SPA committees including; the nominating committee, Hockey committee, State Principals Basketball committee and two terms on the Interscholastic Executive committee. He was a member of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, President of the Lincoln Teachers Club, a member of the Maine Athletic Directors Association and former chairman of the State Soccer Committee. The recipient of the Larry LaBrie Award, the Robert Brown Contributor Award, the Retired Athletic Administrators Award, the Distinguished Service Award presented by National Interscholastic Administrators Association and the Big East Conference Distinguished Service Award, he was named Maine Athletic Director of the year in 1988. Fletcher and his wife, Arlene, have a daughter, Susan Driscoll, three sons, James, Michael and John Fletcher and two stepsons, Michael and Charles Edwards.
Robert J. Lahey, Jr. (posthumous)
Wallace A. “Wally” Donovan (posthumous)
Donovan was born in Waterville and graduated from Waterville High, where he won 15 letters and was captain of the football, basketball and baseball teams. As a running back at Colby College he was All-Maine three times, All-New England and twice honorable mention All-America. He also was president of his senior class, president of the Student Council and co-winner of the Condon Medal. As coach and athletic director at Waterville High for 38 years before his retirement in 1972, he led Waterville to several state championships in football and state and New England titles in basketball. His football teams won state titles in 1937 and 1944, only to be overshadowed by his basketball team which won the state and New England Championship in 1944, and the state title again in 1945 and ’49. At one point in the early 1940’s the team went 67 consecutive games without a loss. In 2006 he was inducted in the New England Basketball Hall of Fame. As the school’s Athletic Director it was not beneath him to pitch in to set up and take down the bleachers at the field or in the gym. During the summer months Donovan’s dedication to his hometown continued as director of the municipal swimming pool. He also found time for fishing at his camp in Lily Bay on Moosehead Lake. The Wallace A. Donovan Gymnasium was dedicated to him on the opening of the new high school. Wally and his wife of 57 years, Runa, had three children, Sandra Donovan Stevens, Wallace Donovan, Jr., and Patricia Byrd, who passed away in 1985.
Joseph A. Linscott
Joe graduated from Farmington High School where he was a member and team captain of the Football, Basketball and Baseball teams. He played baseball with the Farmington Flyers and Farmington Town Team from 1949 to 1951 and he played basketball in England with the 92AAA Battalion of the U.S. Army in 1954 and 1955 An Augusta East Little League manager he was named all-star manager four times. He also served as director and league president, Augusta Babe Ruth manager, all-star manager, director, and league president. Chairman of the field committee that was responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of two regulation size fields known as McGuire and Morton fields, he served as tournament director for many Babe Ruth district and State tournaments including the 1983 Babe Ruth 13 yr. old regional tournament. He’s been responsible for the maintenance of both fields since 1979, served as head coach in the Augusta Junior Football program, the Kennebec Valley YMCA basketball program, and coached two years of American Legion baseball. Since 1974, Joe has served on the board of the Capitol Area Recreation Association as a director, President for 10 years, and presently as the Augusta Babe Ruth representative to the board. He has been personally involved to some degree in every project undertaken at the complex including, construction of Linscott Field, re-construction of Rivelli Field, design and construction of Minuteman Field, design and construction of the Kennebec Valley Horseshoe complex, construction of the John Bridge basketball courts, design and construction of the CARA Youth Memorial fields. Along with Bob Bums, a long term volunteer, now deceased, he helped establish the annual golf tournament known as the Bob Bums CARA Open which is the major fundraiser for the CARA complex with all net proceeds earmarked for capital improvements. Joe was the 1975 Recipient of Kenneth Sills Award for Little League Manager of the Year and the 1994 Recipient of the Dick McGuire Award for athletics and community service. Joe and his wife, Betty, have three children, daughter Ann Linscott Stiman and sons, Joseph A. Linscott IV and Thomas.
Francis A. Purnell
A Waterville native, Fran Purnell played hockey and varsity baseball in high school and later played Semi Pro Hockey at Colby College’s Alfond Arena. He coached Little League baseball at the Lockwood Little League field for the Elks Little League team and when the National League teams lost their president Fran was asked to step in as interim president and he accepted. After the playing year he was appointed to the permanent position and after 34 years he is still President of the Little League teams in Waterville.. The American and National Little League teams are now merged into one league, better known as the Waterville Cal Ripken Little League. The league moved from Lockwood Field to Mathews Baseball Field and it was rebuilt into a little league field. Fran organized a crew to rebuild the infield, base paths, backstop, dugouts and the snack shack. He even installed a flagpole. Then under his direction a storage area and press box were built and the pitchers mound was raised to specification. The field was approved for District 5 All Star play. Fran, his wife, Joyce and their sons worked many, many nights and weekends to accomplish this huge task. Fran took care of the baseball and Joyce took on the job of tending the Snack Shack. Fran was working for Bill's Tire Co. and his boss was very understanding. He let Fran have time off to contend with All Star season. He raised money so he and his crew could install a P.A. system, a beautiful remote score board and in the past few years, field lights. Fran was honored by having the field renamed the Fran Purnell Little League Field which is still located on Mathews Avenue in Waterville. Fran has expanded field time to accommodate teams for T-Ball, Farm League, Minors, Majors and the Challengers Division which he started in 1990. Winner of the Rotary International Paul Harris Award, he also worked at the soup kitchen at Corpus Christi Parish. The Purnells have three children, sons Christopher and Kevin and daughter Debra Poulin..
Director of Athletics at St. Francis College for 21 of his 38 years in education, Jim was head coach or assistant in seven sports, baseball, boys and girls basketball, football, soccer and cross country. He was an all season’s sports standout at Chevrus High School, class of 1941, served in the U.S. Army in World War II, and returned to enroll at the University of Maine at Orono. He taught several courses as an Associate Professor and coached baseball, men’s basketball, men’s soccer, cross country and golf at St. Francis before it became the University of New England. Beaudry was presented with a University of New England chair and a “lifetime pass” to all UNE sporting events. A charter and Executive Committee member of the Maine High School Coaches Association and the District Five National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics which he also served as Vice President. He was inducted into the New England Basketball HOF and named an Honorary Alumnus and the First Inductee into the University of New England Athletics Hall Of Fame in 2004, where it was recently announced that they will name their basketball facility the James A Beaudry Gymnasium with a dedication ceremony on Dec 3rd of this year. Jim served as a Commissioner of the Biddeford Parks and Recreation Department and the Biddeford Wastewater Commission and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Diocesan Camping Board and Chairman of the Joan M Beaudry Memorial Scholarship Fund. He is also an active member of the BPCC, a volunteer organization in Biddeford Pool that raises money for a number of charities. He has 3 children (not including Mary Ann who is deceased) and 6 grandchildren He continues to be active in local sports, teaching clinics at the elementary level and can be seen at numerous sporting events in the Southern Maine area.
Brown coached basketball at eight Maine high schools and three colleges, including Division I Boston University. He was inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame in 2003 and his contributions to Maine basketball have been recognized by the naming of the Maine Basketball Coaches Association Contributors Award in his honor.
A graduate of Augusta’s Cony High School and Boston University, Brown began a long career of teaching and coaching at Belgrade High School in 1960. He was hired as the school’s head basketball and baseball coach and guided Belgrade to two conference baseball championships. He returned to Cony in 1963 to teach mathematics and coach baseball and basketball and won two more league baseball championships during his four-year stay. He taught and coached at Williams (now Messalonskee) High School in Oakland and at Rockland District High School. He served at both schools as athletic director. In addition to coaching basketball he coached cross country, golf, and field hockey. In 1974 Brown succeeded Gene Hunter as the head boys’ basketball coach at South Portland High School. There he piloted the Red Riots to three consecutive state championships, including undefeated 22-0 state title seasons in 1979 and 1980. He was named the Big 8 (later SMAA) Coach of the Year for three consecutive seasons. In 1981 Brown joined Rick Pitino’s staff at Boston University. After three years at BU he assumed the helm at St. Anselm’s College. He inherited a team that was last in the nation in Division II and in his third year guided his team to the Northeast 8 Conference title and a berth in the NCAA tournament. After a one-year stay at Edward Little High School, Brown began a three-year run with the University of Southern Maine that resulted in an overall record of 66-24 and a berth in the NCAA Final Four in 1988-1989. Brown was hired at Boston University as men’s basketball coach in 1990 and led the Terriers to 38 wins in four seasons. In 1996 Brown returned to the Maine high school basketball scene coaching Bonny Eagle High School for three seasons compiling a 51-10 record, including an SMAA title in 1996-1997. Since 2002 Brown has been the head boys’ basketball coach at Cheverus. His Stag teams have won three Western Maine championships and have reached the Western Maine Class A finals six times. Brown’s teams won state titles in 2008 and 2010. Brown lives in Scarborough with his wife Bonny and is the father of two children, Brett and Barbra.
Faith Littlefield (posthumous)
|2010 Hall of Honors|
|2009 Scholar Athletes|
|Board of Directors|